Tuesday, January 29, 2013

HELP NEEDED - 2003-04 Pacific McDonalds SET BUILD

I'm not one to set build. In fact I only have two complete base sets; both are of SP Authentic. However, collecting is also about experimenting. So I'm going to make it a goal to build a set.

I didn't just make this decision while shuffling through cards bored. I saw a complete built base set on the shelf of my LCS listed at 30 bucks and thought: "Wow that would be a neat set to look through in a binder" and so I decided to go for it! But what fun is there in buying? If I can build this realistically attainable set on my own through trades etc. why not?

The set you ask? Well for my friends in the US of A, it's called 2003-04 Pacific Atomic; otherwise known as the once annually released set held by McDonalds across Canada. McDonalds released cards through Upper Deck starting in the early 90's and then switched to Pacific in the early 2000's only to switch back to UD for the 05-06 season. Unfortunately, McDonalds stopped this promotion and it's last release was in 2009-10.

The 2003-04 release was my favourite by far and nostalgia pushed me to build the set. Here's a look at what the base cards look like:



As you can see the right side of each card has a die-cut team logo popping out. Pretty cool eh? The reverse side has everything written en anglais et français. Unfortunately due to the fact I believe I was in grade three at the time these came out, some cards I have look like this:


Ain't that a lovely crease for ya! Poor Giggy never saw it coming. The base set clocks in at 55 cards, which is smaller than I think every product that comes out these days. I have a head start owning 14 of the 55 base already. The set I'm building excludes the six rookie AUTO's (included in the base set technically). Those AUTO's book anywhere from $200-400 in top shape. It also excludes the "McDonalds Pacific Patches," (Silver and Gold variations) again those ring from the lowest at $80 and highest $500. Hard to believe that a Mario Lemieux McDonald's patch card would go for 5 bills but that's what the book says.

The most exciting part will be collecting all five insert sets.



First are the ten checklist; all cards have a picture of the player on the card as a kid. I think that's a pretty neat checklist idea, I have almost half of these already with four of the ten cards. 


With a similar design to the base cards. This insert said called "Canadian Pride" have a die-cut maple leaf on the left and showcase all Canadian players (obviously). It's a six card set and the only one I have is the one above of Rick Nash that quite obviously sustained some serious damage.


These "Etched in Time" inserts have a really neat puzzle piece texture to it. They aren't the most eye catching cards but it's a unique idea. Again this is a six card set and I have only the card above.


The Lalime/Belfour "Saturday Night Rivals" card is in rough shape but is my favourite insert set for sure! Such a sweet design, sweet name and just sweet overall! Once again, I have one out of the six cards in this set.

The last insert set called "Net Fusions" is a pretty cool all goalie set. It has a mesh background that looks like a net behind the goalie. This time I don't have any of the six cards in the insert set.

In total here is what I have to chase:

BASE: 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10-18, 20-25, 27-29, 31, 33-38, 40-43, 47-51, 54, 55 
(COMPLETED 25.5%)
"Hockey Roots" CL: 1, 3-5, 9, 10 
(COMPLETED 40%)
"Canadian Pride" INSERT: 1, 2, 4-6 
(COMPLETED 16.7%)
"Etched in Time" INSERT: 1, 3-6 
(COMPLETED 16.7%)
"Net Fusions" INSERT: 1-6 
(COMPLETED 0%)
"Saturday Night Rivals" INSERT: 1-4, 6 
(COMPLETED 16.7%)

TOTAL: 18/85 CARDS (21%)

To wrap it up, I ask, if you have any of these laying around to contact me at johnny_canuck57(at)yahoo.com or drop me a comment below. I'd be more than happy to work out a trade for these bad boys. 

Thanks in advance!

GO NUCKS GO!

1 comment:

  1. I got all excited when I saw your post but then realized it was the year before that I have a lot of... went in my box anyway and found 6 that you need:

    BASE: 10, 20, 34

    "Hockey Roots" CL: 4, 5, 9

    I also found a Cloutier card that you probably already have:

    2005-06 Black Diamond 82 Dan Cloutier

    Anyways if you are interested in trading let me know.

    Denny
    mellott@rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete