Friday, October 7, 2011

WHAT DOES 25 BUCKS GETCHA? (Part 5) - Going Old School

Like the title suggests, this is a throwback purchase from eBay. I'm starting to go on a 70's kick and experimenting between Topps and O-Pee-Chee. So far I'm partial to OPC cuz they're Canadian (ya I played that card).

First off, these cards are in some pretty rough shape. Brutal shape to be honest, you'll see what I mean pretty quickly.


I purposely cropped this picture past the borders just to show how "dinged" up these corners are. Obviously there are also huge creases going through his face and a nice stain on the bottom on the "Vancouver" part. But let's stop with the negatives and look at the big positives in this card. It's the classic  pink background and it's of a goalie that ain't easy to find in a 'Nucks jersey. Very happy to snap away this very important first Hodge card in my collection. This will fit well in a nice new sheet in my Goalie Project. Now onto more negatives about this card...take a look at the back.


Hey so can someone tell me what year Charlie was born from this card? Nope? How bout his weight? You can't tell that either? Maybe some stats or a quick write up. Sorry Amigo, it seems that you have to be Sherlock freaking Holmes to figure this one out. Literally half the card is ripped completely out! This is actually really disappointing considering this might have fallen high in my Top 60.


This wasn't the card I originally bought the lot for, but Dale Tallon RC's are always welcome into my collection. Again it's evident that this card isn't pristine but Tallon was a beast in the Canucks organization and I'm a happy camper.


Also, this card is in the best shape out of the three. Only thing that is wrong (besides ruined corners and creases) is the pen mark of "Senoly" on the back. Anyone speak Italian and can tell what the eff "Senoly" means?


Ray Cullen was the last card in the lot. Nice card to pocket as kind of an extra.


There's definitely a tear in the middle of the card. But at least I can see most of it and know that he was born in '41.

Okay so the big question now is how much did I pay for these incredibly poor conditioned cards? Well let me say now, if I had been outbid even once I would have closed up shop. But I got this without throwing any fists around so let's be happy about that. Oh and no I didn't know the cards were this bad, the seller kinda tricked me with his description. But I hardly payed the price of a Tim Horton's coffee so I didn't report it.

(1.00) Paypal membership
(0.99 + Free Shipping) 1978-79 OPC Curt Ridley (#302)
(8.89 + Free Shipping + 0.24 Tax) Mystery Lots x3
(2.75 + 2.50 Shipping) 2010-11 ITG GU Black Cory Schneider
(2.85 + Free Shipping + 0.34 Tax) 2004-05 UD "Frozen" Artifacts
(1.03 + 2.09 Shipping) 3 Card Lot of 1970-71 OPC
______________________________________________

$2.05


Alex Auld - 3/3 COMPLETE! 26 TOTAL
Murray Bannerman - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Martin Brochu - 3/3 COMPLETE! 4 TOTAL
Richard Brodeur - 1/3 COMPLETE! 11 TOTAL (1 EVENT-USED, 1 AUTO)
Gary Bromley
Bruce Bullock
Sean Burke - 1/3 COMPLETE! 2 TOTAL
Frank Caprice
Jacques Caron
Dan Cloutier - 3/3 COMPLETE! 32 TOTAL (1 JERSEY)
Ed Dyck
Ken Ellacott
Bob Essensa - 3/3 COMPLETE! 14 TOTAL
Mike Fountain - 3/3 COMPLETE! 11 TOTAL
Troy Gamble - 2/2 COMPLETE! 21 TOTAL
George Gardner
John Garrett - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Glen Hanlon
Johan Hedberg - 3/3 COMPLETE! 7 TOTAL
Rick Heinz
Corey Hirsch - 1/3 COMPLETE! 2 TOTAL (1 AUTO)
Charlie Hodge - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Arturs Irbe - 1/3 COMPLETE! 3 TOTAL
Jason LaBarbera - 2/3 COMPLETE! 4 TOTAL
Ken Lockett
Roberto Luongo - 3/3 COMPLETE! 49 TOTAL (1 JERSEY)
Drew MacIntyre - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Cesare Maniago - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Bob Mason
Dave McClelland
Steve McKichan
Kirk McLean - 1/3 COMPLETE! 3 TOTAL (1 AUTO)
Rob McVicar - 1/1 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Alfie Michaud
Tyler Moss
Mika Noronen - 3/3 COMPLETE! 6 TOTAL
Maxime Ouellet - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
FĂ©lix Potvin - 3/3 COMPLETE! 31 TOTAL (1 AUTO)
Andrew Raycroft - 1/3 COMPLETE! 7 TOTAL
Curt Ridley - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Dany Sabourin - 2/3 COMPLETE! 2 TOTAL
Curtis Sanford - 3/3 COMPLETE! 7 TOTAL
Cory Schneider - 1/2 COMPLETE! 10 TOTAL (1 JERSEY)
Corey Schwab - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Petr Skudra - 3/3 COMPLETE! 4 TOTAL
Gary Smith
Garth Snow - 2/3 COMPLETE! 2 TOTAL (1 AUTO)
Kevin Weekes - 2/3 COMPLETE! 2 TOTAL
Steve Weeks
Kay Whitmore - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Dunc Wilson - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Wendell Young - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL


GO NUCKS GO!

3 comments:

  1. Poor condition or not, those are 3 pretty nice cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya I like them too, I forgot to mention that these are the three oldest cards in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stick with OPC - the sets are bigger and will have more Canucks for you. :)

    ReplyDelete