Monday, May 7, 2012

Pack Rip - Canucks Mystery Lot

My splurging on eBay has been strong and steady and although my next purchase is one that might see "out there", I'm glad I pulled the trigger. Saying that, this lot did come with a risk. The lot promised either a patch, jersey, auto, rookie or the dreaded serial numbered hit. So for $12 all in, I took the risk of getting the pack with a card numbered to /4999999999 and having that be the "hit" of the lot. Thankfully that was not the case and I actually got MORE than previously expected.

Let's start with a little taste of base:



As you can see from these first two base cards, there was a very wide variety of products, year and players. I already have the McLean but of course any card for my Goalie Project is accepted with open arms.


Continuing on here we have a "Gold Medallion" parallel from the Fleer Ultra set. I'm pretty sure these were inserted 1 a pack so nothing too special to write home about here. Plus a Big Bert base!


Woah there! That is a hell of a lot of colour all on one scan! From left to right we have one of the most trippy base cards out there from "Pacific Revolution". The middle card was NOT my "hit" card of the lot, but it is technically a RC. Finally all the way on the right is an OPC "Season Highlights" from when Luongo was actually considered a saviour in Vancouver. 


Hey look another rookie! This time of someone I actually really do like - Jannik Hansen! This is definitely a cool RC, and even though I already have a RC of Jannik, this one is different. The Naslund insert is a pretty sharp looking card too.

Next is only ONE hit I got from this mystery lot. Let's take a gander...



Not bad, but nothing to write home about. Steve Kariya never really made it big in the NHL and I have an absolute boatload of his RC's sitting in binders so why not have an autographed card of his right? So far the pack hasn't been a complete disappointment but it hasn't knocked my socks off either and definitely isn't worth my 12 bucks.

But then...

I saw this...



Okay so it's no patch card or super low serial numbered but hey, it's a piece of Henrik Sedin's jersey! That's a-okay in my eyes anytime! Plus it's not an all white swatch, which is always nice. With this card being of a former Art Ross winner, you can't go wrong. Oh and he's also the captain of my Vancouver Canucks!

So I would say this pack was pretty successful. A couple cards toward my Goalie Project, two rookies, a GU card and an AUTO. 

As for more hockey card news, let's just say, there is a lot. I'm not exaggerating when I say I've picked up a ton of new GU and AUTO's. Some from packs, some from eBay and some from trades. I can't wait to get them all scanned and ready to go!

Have you guys ever bought mystery lots of your favourite team, player etc.? How did it work out? Would you do it again if the price was right?

Alex Auld - 3/3 COMPLETE! 27 TOTAL
Murray Bannerman - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Martin Brochu - 3/3 COMPLETE! 4 TOTAL
Richard Brodeur - 1/3 COMPLETE! 16 TOTAL (1 JERSEY, 1 EVENT-USED, 1 AUTO)
Gary Bromley
Bruce Bullock
Sean Burke - 2/3 COMPLETE! 21 TOTAL
Frank Caprice
Jacques Caron
Dan Cloutier - 3/3 COMPLETE! 34 TOTAL (1 JERSEY, 2 AUTO's)
Ed Dyck
Ken Ellacott
Bob Essensa - 3/3 COMPLETE! 14 TOTAL
Mike Fountain - 3/3 COMPLETE! 11 TOTAL
Troy Gamble - 2/2 COMPLETE! 21 TOTAL
George Gardner 2/3 COMPLETE! 2 TOTAL
John Garrett - 2/3 COMPLETE! 3 TOTAL
Glen Hanlon - 1/3 COMPLETE! 5 TOTAL
Johan Hedberg - 3/3 COMPLETE! 7 TOTAL
Rick Heinz
Corey Hirsch - 1/3 COMPLETE! 2 TOTAL (1 AUTO)
Charlie Hodge - 2/2 COMPLETE! 3 TOTAL
Arturs Irbe - 1/3 COMPLETE! 3 TOTAL
Jason LaBarbera - 2/3 COMPLETE! 4 TOTAL
Ken Lockett
Roberto Luongo - 3/3 COMPLETE! 61 TOTAL (2 JERSEY)
Drew MacIntyre - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Cesare Maniago - 1/3 COMPLETE! 3 TOTAL
Bob Mason - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Dave McClelland
Steve McKichan
Kirk McLean - 2/3 COMPLETE! 151 TOTAL (1 AUTO)
Rob McVicar - 1/1 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Alfie Michaud - 1/1 COMPLETE! 7 TOTAL
Tyler Moss
Mika Noronen - 3/3 COMPLETE! 6 TOTAL
Maxime Ouellet - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
FĂ©lix Potvin - 3/3 COMPLETE! 31 TOTAL (1 AUTO)
Andrew Raycroft - 1/3 COMPLETE! 7 TOTAL
Curt Ridley - 2/3 COMPLETE! 2 TOTAL
Dany Sabourin - 2/3 COMPLETE! 2 TOTAL
Curtis Sanford - 3/3 COMPLETE! 7 TOTAL
Cory Schneider - 1/2 COMPLETE! 12 TOTAL (2 JERSEY)
Corey Schwab - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Petr Skudra - 3/3 COMPLETE! 4 TOTAL
Gary Smith - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Garth Snow - 2/3 COMPLETE! 2 TOTAL (1 AUTO)
Kevin Weekes - 2/3 COMPLETE! 2 TOTAL
Steve Weeks - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Kay Whitmore - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Dunc Wilson - 1/3 COMPLETE! 2 TOTAL
Wendell Young - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL

GO NUCKS GO!

1 comment:

  1. I once bought a lot of 500+ Hartford Whalers cards, weren't any big "hits" but I was pleasantly surprised and I didn't have about 400 of them. At $10 or so I still consider it one of my best cheap pick-ups ever. Looks like you did pretty well here!

    ReplyDelete