Friday, May 20, 2011

2010-11 Between the Pipes BOX BREAK + GOALIE PROJECT

Like I mentioned yesterday it's time for my most anticipated box break of the year. Yup, Between the Pipes baby! After my first box suddenly disappeared from UPS' gong show, the seller sent me another box that I am very pleased I received. Three weeks later I finally got to open my box. I'm gonna stop messing around and show you what I got. We start with the Future Stars base cards.


Eddie Lack plays for the Canucks farm team - the Manitoba Moose. He's the only "Canucker" I got in the Future Stars batch. I also got guys like Malcolm Subban, Olivier Roy and Jordan Binnington.

Future Stars: 61
Manitoba Moose: 1


I pulled one of the two Canucks of the Stars of the Game base cards. Bobby Lu, how do you do?

Stars of the Game: 38
Canucks: 1


There are some awesome names in the Greats of the Game base cards. I received 4 former Canucks that will help with my Goalie Project. Some of the pictures on the base cards are a little fuzzy especially on the Greats of the Game but it's a small price to pay for such an awesome set. 

Greats of the Game: 29
Former Canucks: 4


Cool idea giving the Women some love. I appreciate the pink but the symbols faded in are kinda corny. In my one box, I got all four base cards of the Women of the Nets.

Women of the Nets: 4 (Complete)


Awesome, awesome, awesome! Love the Immortals base cards!

Immortals: 5


The only card in this One Game Wonder base card "set". Tom Fenton congratulations you made the cut.

One Game Wonder: 1 (Complete)

Now to the really good stuff. Inserts, autos and GU! I got 4 inserts including 2 masked men. 




This Johnny Bower insert is sweet, love the look of the throwback cigarette cards. As for the other insert, I could do without this one and I would much rather have one of those Deep in the Crease cards. Now here are the much anticipated Masked Men III cards.



Both their masks are not amazing by any means, but this card could make any mask look good. Emeralds are out of /340 not 1/1 in case you didn't know...but you probably already know. Great cards, don't think I'm gonna complete the set but I'll definitely hold on to these.


Opening my first pack I peeked behind my "He Shoots-He Scores" point card and I saw a grey/greenish design. I knew right away that it was my first auto! I was even happier knowing it was a Stars of the Game auto and was relieved to know I wouldn't be closing the box with two Future Star autos. As you can see it is a rather sweet auto from Khabibulin. As Don Tayler would say: "Did he save it with his right Khabby, or his right Bulin?" Not sure if anyone outside of Vancouver knows what I'm talking about, but just go along with it. Awesome! Very happy with the auto, it looks fantastic. But that isn't my favorite auto of the box, it get's better!


Hellz ya! Kirk McLean, original '94! Sweeeeeet! This guy was a beast of a goalie for the Canucks in their run to the Stanley Cup finals! Cannot even put my happiness into words! My favorite card in this box, but there was a decently close second.


Yup, 3 autos! It's a hat trick baby. I don't know a whole bunch about Frederic Piche, but through the wonders of Google I assume that he won't be cracking an NHL line-up anytime soon. If you know anything about this guy I'd appreciate some info.


How could a box possibly go wrong with a Martin Brodeur hit! This is the closest a card got to topping the McLean auto. Crazy card indeed! Sorry about the fluff on the bottom of the card, I need to dust my scanner. This card is numbered 1 out of 80 (Black Version).


Again, sorry for the quality of the scan, those smudges and fluff's you see are from the scanner. I assure you the cards are pristine. This was the last hit of the box that I pulled from the last pack of the box. On the NHL's scouting central report of the 2011 NHL entry draft, Jordan Binnington is ranked 3rd out of all North-American goalies and 1st out of all OHL goalies. It will be very interesting to see where and when he goes in the draft and also how his career unfolds. I'll hold on to this one for a while. Nice looking swatch also, a lot of black and a bit of yellow in the bottom right corner. Also on the bottom you can see this is the Silver version. I have no clue what the Silver versions are numbered to, if you know let me know please. 

So that's it! Here's how the box breaks down:

Base: 138 (69% complete)
Inserts: 4
Autos: 3
GU: 2
TOTAL: 147 cards

This was a huge box for my collection. My total GU cards I owned before this was 2, and I doubled that to 4. Like I mentioned before, please let me know what the print run on the Jordan Binnington card is, and any background you have on Frederic Piche. What do you think about the box? For myself, it was awesome, maybe for you this wasn't your taste, let me know. Along with an all goalie product, comes many additions to the Goalie Project.

Alex Auld - 3/3 COMPLETE! 26 TOTAL
Murray Bannerman - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Martin Brochu
Richard Brodeur - 1/3 COMPLETE! 2 TOTAL
Gary Bromley
Bruce Bullock
Sean Burke
Frank Caprice
Jacques Caron
Dan Cloutier
Ed Dyck
Ken Ellacott
Bob Essensa
Mike Fountain
Troy Gamble - 2/2 COMPLETE! 21 TOTAL
George Gardner
John Garrett - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Glen Hanlon
Johan Hedberg - 2/3 COMPLETE! 4 TOTAL
Rick Heinz
Corey Hirsch
Charlie Hodge
Arturs Irbe
Jason LaBarbera - 2/3 COMPLETE! 4 TOTAL
Ken Lockett
Roberto Luongo - 3/3 COMPLETE! 38 TOTAL
Drew MacIntyre - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Cesare Maniago - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Bob Mason
Dave McClelland
Steve McKichan
Kirk McLean
Rob McVicar - 1/1 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Alfie Michaud
Tyler Moss
Mika Noronen - 2/3 COMPLETE! 5 TOTAL
Maxime Ouellet
FĂ©lix Potvin - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Andrew Raycroft - 1/3 COMPLETE! 6 TOTAL
Curt Ridley
Dany Sabourin - 2/3 COMPLETE! 2 TOTAL
Curtis Sanford - 3/3 COMPLETE! 6 TOTAL
Cory Schneider - 1/2 COMPLETE! 7 TOTAL
Corey Schwab
Petr Skudra - 3/3 COMPLETE! 4 TOTAL
Gary Smith
Garth Snow
Kevin Weekes
Steve Weeks
Kay Whitmore
Dunc Wilson - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Wendell Young

Coming up this week are a couple pack rips. One of an older Between the Pipes product and another 2010-11 SpX. Now I have to stop blogging and start watching the Canucks game intently, they need all the help they can get with them being down 3-0 mid-way through the 2nd.

GO NUCKS GO!

2 comments:

  1. Great box Michael! I heard silver versions were /30. Glad to see you pull so many Canucks and you can NEVER go wrong with Marty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice box. I think I'm the only one out here that hasn't found a box of this yet.

    ReplyDelete