Tuesday, January 4, 2011

THE CELEBRATION - OH WHERE HAS IT GONE?

I was going to scan a few cards noting some pretty cool celebrations, but if you scroll down a tiny bit you will be able to see why I cannot scan my hockey cards temporarily...moving on. I decided to Google one of my favorite celebration cards instead, its from the 2005-06 UD series...take a look:

MATT COOKE
2005-06 UD
(Hopefully there are no copyright infringements with this card, although I did give this site added publicity I guess). Anyways, this picture is of Matt Cooke and Trevor Linden celebrating a late goal against Minny in the 4th game of the round 2 of the 2003 NHL Playoffs (if I'm not mistaken). This goal was scored late in the 3rd period to send the game to OT, where in fact the Canucks won to take the series lead 3-1. Unfortunately, the Canucks did not win again in the playoffs as they dropped 3 straight to lose to the Wild in 7 games. Its brutal really. I like this card primarily because I know when the exact moment the photo was taken, and the simple elation on Cookies face. 

This wasn't the only reason I chose to throw this card out there. Its because I find SOME players NOT ALL, have shied away from jumping around and simply being ecstatic after a big goal. It's not that everybody doesn't do it, but i'm just saying I see less of it. Look at these older celebrations and tell me if you think this is true passion for the game.


THEO FLEURY

PAVEL BURE

MIKE FOLIGNO

TEEMU SELANNE

Pretty exciting celebrations, but not only is there a lack of passionate celebrations, but there seems to be a tearing down of planned celebrations (cough cough - Don Cherry). Why do people have to hate on having a good time. I understand that players should be modest but most of the time its done without intentions of being haughty. It just doesn't make sense to me...its not like we're the Iceland national soccer team...

ICELAND
Look, all I'm trying to say is as long as we're not making a mockery of ourselves...I say why not celebrate. It's great entertainment value, and it shows character. Cheers to the good ones!

OVIE

MARC SAVARD

DAVE "TIGER" WILLIAMS

GO NUCKS GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment